The Art of Beekeeping in Northern Climates (Beekeeping Basics)
February 13, 6:00 pm - February 27, 9:00 pm CST$49
Whether you wish to create a sustainable future in beekeeping or simply prefer it as a hobby, this three session workshop will address everything you need to practice the art of beekeeping including:
- Honey bee behavior and biology
- getting started, including: equipment, apiary site characteristics, and installing a bee package or nucleus colony
- managing honeybees throughout the year: spring, summer and fall including inspections (what is normal, identifying problems and intervening)
- extracting honey
- preparing your hives for winter
- managing 2nd year (survivor) colonies.
This is a 9-hour course, consisting of three consecutive Wednesday night sessions. Each class is held from 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm. Instructor JoAnne Sabin has been a beekeeper since 2005 and is a member of the Minnesota Hobby Beekeepers Association and the Honey Bee Club of Stillwater.