The Minnesota Hobby Beekeepers Association is strengthened by people like you! Your participation, dues, and volunteer efforts help our organization promote better beekeeping in the Upper Midwest!
Benefits of membership
- Learn from the vast resources of our members’ experience, the University of Minnesota research faculty/staff/students, and presentations at monthly meetings.
- Participate in hands-on in-hive management demonstrations and discussions at a U of M apiary before most member meetings.
- Don’t just browse our forums, participate! Ask questions, share ideas, and interact with other members online.
- Meet and network with local beekeepers, and attend fun events like our summer picnic and winter banquet.
- Find a mentor to improve your beekeeping skills and knowledge.
- Receive the MHBA monthly newsletter with seasonal tips, and classified ads — which are free to members.
- Use our lending library to borrow books and videos on all types of bee-related topics
- Receive discounted subscriptions to national beekeeping magazines
- Cast your vote for the Board and Officers that govern the MHBA, or run for office yourself.
- Gain access to other opportunities like swarm collecting, serving on committees, and many more.
How members give back
MHBA offers many opportunities to support other beekeepers and spread knowledge in the community about honey bees. Members can:
- Share new ideas and inventions
- Serve on a committee or governing board
- Participate in youth programs
- Provide snacks for meetings
- Mentor new members
- Volunteer for U of M helper day, state fair honey exhibit, and swarm chasers
- Donate books and videos to the lending library
- Contribute to the Furgala Student Support Scholarship Fund and/or University of Minnesota Research Fund